Race season is quickly approaching! With being one month out from the RnR half and full, we are going to do some longer intervals with cut-downs. You can choose a faster “half marathon pace” with a longer recovery, or a slower “marathon pace” with a shorter recovery.
Workout is 2 x 2 mile interval sets (**option for shorter workout at the end**):
1. Half-marathon focus:
- Start at HM goal pace. Every 800 meters drop your mile pace by 10 sec (or drop your 800 meter splits by 5 sec)
- Example: If I start out at 7 min mile pace, I want my 800 meter splits to be: 3:30; 3:25; 3:20; 3:15
- Rest 3 minutes between sets
2. Marathon focus:
- Start at marathon goal pace. Every 800 meters drop your mile pace by 10 sec (or drop your 800 meter splits by 5 sec)
- Example: If I start out at 7:30 min mile pace, I want my 800 meter splits to be: 3:45; 3:40; 3:35; 3:30
- Rest 2 minutes between sets
**Because we will likely spread out during each interval, and due to time constraints, you are responsible for keeping time of your own rest and starting your next interval on time.**
If you cannot stick around for the entire 2 x 2 miles, cut your second interval down to 1 mile. Start at 10k speed and progressively work down to 5k speed each 400m.
P.S. This will Liz’s last workout before she ships off to Mexico City for the next 6 (+) months! Also, say congrats to Sebastian on being a married (and who will also be sadly leaving us at the end of February).